Hamsteren09 Publish time 2009-5-26 01:36

Gridding Cross Stitch Fabric

When stitching a large Cross Stitch project, one of the biggest frustrations is caused by making mistakes in placing stitches. One part of the design will end up being one space off. A row missed here will cause another part of the design to be askew.

To help avoid misplaced stitches, many stitchers baste a grid on the fabric that matches the 10x10 grid used for most Cross Stitch patterns.

Tips for successful gridding: Use a light-colored floss that will not leave fuzz or mar the fabric to create the grid. Many stitchers use quilting thread or silk floss.

Make the grid as elaborate or as simple as you need. Mark the corners or add more definition to the 10x10 box. You may even choose to grid your design in 5x5 boxes.

Match the grid on your fabric to the grid on the pattern.

(Some stitchers use a water soluble pen to mark the grid on fabric. Be very careful if you use this method. The pen may not all wash out. It may also fade over time if you are stitching a larger project.)

When removing gridding floss, use sharp scissors to snip away any strands of the grid which may have been pierced as you stitched.

RenXing Publish time 2009-6-18 17:14

Small trick to wash out all the grid when using a soluble pen is using water + vinegar .All the grid will be gone even if it has been drawn for 4 months.My sister,my mom and me realize that soluble pen is very useful.It can help us to shorten the time in order to stitch a new one. :lol

SallySue Publish time 2016-10-23 01:51

static/image/common/user_online.gif elderangel static/image/common/clock.gif 2016-1-23 01:34
OMG! I just got my Frixion pens after reading these posts, and have gridded a work in progress, and...

I just bought some of these too after reading the posts.I think I'm in love!I always wash my cross stitch and was concerned about washing the pen marks before ironing.I wasn't sure they would come out if they got wet first.However, they got lighter in the wash and then came out completely with the iron.This is brilliant!!!Try it out on a scrap of fabric and see what you think!

slaho330 Publish time 2016-10-19 07:57

Gridding has saved my sanity.I usually do 30x30 stitch squares, so gridding goes more quickly and i don't have to take out too much if I miss.I use quilting thread because it doesn't stretch the fabric holes

magicloop Publish time 2023-3-19 13:59

static/image/common/user_online.gif tricialynn static/image/common/clock.gif 2016-2-3 16:24
I've been stitching 31 years and have never gridded a project. I've never needed to. I just use the...

Yeah I don't bother with gridding. It's way less time to count it multiple times lol :D

xolga Publish time 2023-3-18 04:04

I use very fine "monofilament" thread that is marketed towards people who make bead bracelets and such. I mark every 10th line vertically and horizontally like that, and it helps a lot.

bcbunny Publish time 2016-4-11 08:31

i have recently started gridding and i love it, i use a black rayon thread that I get at fabric store, comes in black it is kinda like fishing line but finer. works great, is cheap and works so good

tricialynn Publish time 2016-2-3 16:24

I've been stitching 31 years and have never gridded a project. I've never needed to. I just use the stitch count and add two inches of blank area around the whole design for framing purposes.

elizabethscox1 Publish time 2016-7-12 22:28

Nice! I hadn't heard much about using other forms of thread besides cross stitch thread, but I'm sure a different texture would help you pull it out at the end.

elderangel Publish time 2016-1-23 01:34

OMG! I just got my Frixion pens after reading these posts, and have gridded a work in progress, and already it is easier to handle. THANK YOU ALL so very much.

xxstitcher Publish time 2020-10-1 08:50

Will definitely try the fishing line.
I find gridding is definitely the most tedious part of the process for me

liz0222 Publish time 2009-5-26 09:38

When starting a new work, one has to prepare too many pre-works, such as drawing grids.

Hamsteren09 Publish time 2009-5-26 18:53

When you draw the grids using water soluble pen, sometimes the colour may not all wash out or disappear after some times (read: years). When you grid with threads, then it stay as long as you want and when you pull out the treads, it won't leave stain, but of course don't use black (or other dark colour) thread on white fabric. It's a lot of work and counting mistake can happen as well. :(

liz0222 Publish time 2009-5-26 20:51

yes, I often count 9 grids instead of 10 grids.:(

Hamsteren09 Publish time 2009-5-27 05:25

I grid this fabric using metallic threads.

nadinex Publish time 2009-6-18 00:22

I grid only when I am working very large projects like HAED

Hamsteren09 Publish time 2009-6-18 01:48

yes, me too. Although at this moment I just grid and haven't found the courage to start ;P

csc0312 Publish time 2009-6-18 08:56

I never draw grid on the fabric, coz I never wash my finished crafts....:P

Hamsteren09 Publish time 2009-6-18 14:27

Me too. I also never wash my finished craft and although they said that the exposure to air can vanish the line as well.. somehow I just still able to see the lines (more psychological problem I think :D)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
View full version: Gridding Cross Stitch Fabric