energizerbuny Publish time 2013-6-30 00:56

Linen over 2

Where are your stitches placed? I read a tip from (I think) Ginnie Thompson on placing the stitches. I don't remember if you were to come up in a hole where the vertical thread of the fabric is on top of the horizontal thread or where the vertical thread is under the horizontal thread. I think it makes a difference in your floss slipping under the threads of the fabric and distortion of the linen fabric. If you know where your needle is coming up, you can check to see that you are consistent every so often so that you can maybe find errors in counting sooner.

cute.panda.sue Publish time 2013-6-30 07:21

I think I would prefer having my needle come up in a hole where the horizontal thread is under the vertical... But I don't think it would make too much of a difference which way you started as long as you remember to make sure you didn't mis-count...

magenta13 Publish time 2013-6-30 18:09

I may be wrong but I don't think it matters too much, when stitching over two threads of linen, as long as you are consistent.

If you are stitching one over one, then that is different because the floss can slip behind the linen thread.If that happens to me I just unpick and use the opposite way of coming up and going down when doing the first part of the stitch.I've learnt by trial and error, perhaps there is a tutorial out there on this.

Library Publish time 2013-6-30 21:39

Edited by Library at 2013-6-30 21:44

There are instructions here for how your stitch should be placed:

thecrossstitchguild.com/Cross_Stitch_Basics/stitch_basics/stitching_on_evenweave.aspx

I've heard this described as the first stitch "leaning against the post." The post being the vertical thread underneath. That helps me remember.I believe if the stitches are not placed this way, the linen can be pulled and distorted.

Hope that helps!

energizerbuny Publish time 2013-6-30 22:52

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't find where the site discussed where to place the stitch. The example of the half crosses has the thread coming up where the vertical thread is on top. The example of the completed crosses has the thread coming up where the vertical thread is on the bottom. I am still wonder where to place the first stitch.

magenta13 Publish time 2013-7-1 00:26

I don't know if this helps, but this describes how to start a cross stitch on linen:-

crossstitch.about.com/od/howtocrossstitch/ht/htsonlinen.htm

The diagram is a bit small but it describes what library said about leaning against the post!!

energizerbuny Publish time 2013-7-1 01:06

Edited by energizerbuny at 2013-6-30 11:08

I finally found this explanation and larger diagram that I can understand at needlework-tips-and-techniques.com/counted-cross-stitch .html

Evenweave fabric is woven in an over/under method. If you look at the vertical threads some go over the horizontal ones and some lay below. It is best to start your stitch beside an "over" thread. This helps to keep the stitch from slipping underneath. The saying goes "a picture's worth a thousand words" so check my diagram below if this is not clear.

http://www.needlework-tips-and-techniques.com/images/cross-stitch-over-2.gif

Thanks for all your help

cute.panda.sue Publish time 2013-7-1 01:22

energizerbuny replied at 2013-7-1 01:06 static/image/common/back.gif
I finally found this explanation and larger diagram that I can understand at needlework-tips-and-tec ...

:OOO That was exactly what i meant :D yay glad to know I guessed right!

GrannyNeedle55 Publish time 2013-8-10 03:07

Great to know as I am about to try some linen work...and tiny...

htsear13 Publish time 2022-2-11 03:10

Following this thread
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Linen over 2