Hamsteren09 Publish time 2009-7-3 00:04

The Secret to Stitching with Beads

Edited by anniekins at 2019-7-9 23:19

Taken from Annie's Attic

The secret to using beads, is to experiment and have the right size needle. Nothing is as frustrating as trying to work with a needle that has too large an eye and won't pass through the bead (no matter how hard you push). Do yourself a favor, and get a good beading needle. Be creative, there are as many ways to combine your bead and floss colors as there are stitchers.

You can either match the floss color to the ground fabric, so the color of the bead is undiluted and shines like a jewel, or you can match the bead and floss colors to emphasize the depth of color in the bead itself. On some designs where the color palette of your stitches and beads is widely varied, you may want to attach beads with clear monofilament to cut down on distracting floss colors which may show through and around the beads. Or, what about using a clear bead, and creating your own colors by attaching it with a vibrant colored thread?

Size matters in matching beads to fabric, too small and you won't see the beads. Too big, and they will overwhelm the design. A good match of bead and fabric would be a bead the same size as a single stitch. The exception of course, is a larger bead such as a bugle or a pebble bead.

When it comes to putting them on, complete your Cross-Stitches and decorative stitches first, this will give you a good base on the back to anchor to. For attaching beads, I generally use the same amount of floss threads as I would for Backstitching. Anchor your floss end firmly, you'll use a good amount of tension because you want your beads to stand up like soldiers at attention. Attach your beads with either a Half Cross-Stitch, or the bottom leg of your Cross-Stitch, that way they will be angled the same direction as all your top stitches.
If you are attaching beads in a row, you should refer to the Bead Attachment Illustration below.

If you are attaching a single bead out away from your stitching, you might want to offer it a little bit of extra support. When using one strand floss, make the bead secure with your initial Half Cross-Stitch, and then complete the Cross-Stitch traveling through the bead a second time.

When using two strands of floss, first make the bead secure with your Half Cross-Stitch, and then finish the stitch without traveling through the bead a second time allowing your threads to lay on either side of the bead.

Just remember what I said in the beginning of this article, be creative and experiment! Adding beads can make your stitching fun and more beautiful than you can imagine.

xxstitcher Publish time 2020-10-1 08:53

Thank you, have my first beading project in progress, it was a kit that came with a thinner beading needle in addition to a tapestry needle for the thread

sela120658 Publish time 2019-10-19 12:33

Me da un poco de temor usar las cuentas, pero con sus consejos creo que lo intentare .Muchas gracias :)

michelle.ross37 Publish time 2024-1-13 00:29

I have a couple of patterns that require French knots so working with beads is a option

Lamcdo2 Publish time 2019-11-18 01:21

Thanks, getting ready to attach beads for the first and this is very useful!

last Publish time 2019-10-17 17:28

Bardzo przydatne informacje. Dziękuję za udostępnienie tekstu :)

orionjes12 Publish time 2018-2-8 21:59

thank you for sharing. very useful and informative

viky Publish time 2023-12-10 08:18

Thank you very much for the info! Very helpful.

orionjes12 Publish time 2018-2-9 06:49

thank you for posting this. very informative

Stichaholic Publish time 2019-6-18 21:30

Thank you for sharing the information :-)

beischens Publish time 2018-12-16 13:33

good information. Thank you for sharing

csc0312 Publish time 2009-7-6 15:23

thanks for sharing, Jenny!
very useful information!

MACA Publish time 2009-9-30 21:09

I've never stitched with beads, but I have added some beads after stitch

StitchAndi Publish time 2010-1-7 02:04

This is very helpful :)

gizelda Publish time 2011-4-4 09:52

I am going to stitch my first work using beads and this topic help me a lot! Thank you!!

scaredy-cat Publish time 2011-4-4 14:35

Very good explanation.Thank you very much.

melina Publish time 2011-4-5 00:06

very clear explanation I have to start an embroidery with beads and this explanation is useful to me

galadriel Publish time 2011-4-5 03:36

thanks for the explanation! is really complete and useful!

sweetpea Publish time 2011-4-5 03:44

thanks for the information

retno1978 Publish time 2011-4-6 15:15

thank you fot the information. its very useful
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
View full version: The Secret to Stitching with Beads