KnittingAngel Publish time 2016-10-19 00:34

yarn overs

i receivedthis information in one of my news letters and thought i would share.

Yarn overs are great for decorative increases or creating eyelets (or when you make one by mistake).
Sometimes, it can be confusing depending on if it comes between knit or purl stitches (or both). It’s not that difficult though, just read on…
Yarn Overs as IncreasesYou’ll see yarn overs used as increases whenever the designer wants to create a decorative way of increasing. You might see it along the spine of a shawl or at the raglan line of a sweater.
Yarn Overs as EyeletsThe other way you’ll commonly see a yarn over is paired with a decrease (typically a k2tog or ssk). In this case, you’re not changing the stitch count (the YO and the decrease cancel each other out) but it will create some pretty movement in the stitches.
Now that we’ve talked about 2 types of yarn overs, let’s talk about the different ways you can work a yarn over.
Yarn Over between 2 knit stitchesThis is the easiest of the lot.

work up to the YO.

wrap the yarn counter - clockwise around the right needle. Then, work the next stitch the regular way.

YARN OVER between 2 purl stitchesWorking a yarn over between 2 purls isn’t much harder. You just wrap the yarn counter-clockwise around the right needle (just like above).

YARN OVER between a purl and a knit stitchYou just move the yarn over the needle instead of in-between it like you normally would

work up until the YO

wrap the yarn counter clockwise around the right needle. work the next stitch normally

work up until YO. wrap yarn counter clockwise around the right needle. than work next stitch normally.

Yarn Over between a Knit and a Purl Stitch – Make the Yarn Over SmallerIf you have issues with your yarn overs looking differently-sized, here’s a way to tackle it. Be sure to read both the first row and second row instructions because you need to do both.
Row 1

Work until the YO. Then, wrap the yarn in the OPPOSITE direction (clockwise). This shortens the amount of yarn needed for the YO. Just make sure to account for the wrap going the other way in the next row.

Row 2

The wrap is in the other direction, so you need to KTBL so it’s untwisted.

And here you can compare the regular YO (below) with the improved YO (on the top). See how the top one is smaller? That little difference makes a big impact if you have YO’s placed next to each other.

i hope you have enjoyed and found this informative
thank you

DehbiK Publish time 2017-11-2 23:16

Thank you!I've knitted for my whole life and know a lot, but there is always more to learn.This will be helpful to me with future projects I'm sure.

babs33 Publish time 2018-3-3 07:35

Very informative and easy to understand, thank you for taking the time to do this for us :)

sasita Publish time 2021-11-24 14:07

❤️ ¡Gracias por compartir!      

benten03 Publish time 2021-12-7 17:49

I prefer the modified version, too, to get more even YOs.

annadema Publish time 2019-9-14 15:28

Thank you for this post. I created a pdf from it for future :-)

piatracuminte Publish time 2016-10-19 21:04

Thank you, I added it to my favorites for future reference!

lifesong Publish time 2017-7-10 00:35

Very nice,thank you very much for sharing.

sgulus Publish time 2017-9-21 17:39

Thank you very much. It's usefull post

JenDot Publish time 2017-5-13 08:24

thanks I adore yarnovers in lacework

Kyanitemoon Publish time 2018-2-2 23:29

Thank you so much!!! It's very helpful :)

Skazka61 Publish time 2016-10-19 01:53

Thanks for sharing!

karriboo Publish time 2016-10-19 02:25

Very nice
Thank you for sharing

toti1418 Publish time 2016-10-19 06:10

Muchas gracias por compartir.

Шура Мурина Publish time 2016-10-19 20:08

Very useful! Thank you for sharing!

essajane Publish time 2016-12-3 13:13

Thank you for sharing this

j947 Publish time 2016-12-7 15:35