Blackhat Publish time 2012-3-28 08:26

Linen from a Fabric Store; can you stitch on it?

I have been wondering about this one for a while. Buying linen from a cross-stitch shop is expensive, and you never get very much. Also, there's the limitation of what colors you can get... has anyone tried buying linen (or linen-look) fabric by the yard from a fabric shop that sells it in bolts? If so, have you had any luck stitching on it? Is there a certain kind to look for, or some process to prepare the fabric to make it easier to stitch on?

Maybe this is a common practice among you expert stitchers, but I'm still a novice. :P Please let me know!

mardy Publish time 2020-2-8 01:10

It may not be even, same number of threads per inch going up or side to side.It depends how precise the pattern needs to be

htsear13 Publish time 2022-2-10 06:55

Following this thread

manolimu Publish time 2023-9-6 02:00

Siguiendo este hilo

Knitpurlsm Publish time 2024-4-9 01:27

Thanks for the info!

manolimu Publish time 2023-12-23 16:28

Thank you very much!

lindakfr Publish time 2012-3-28 11:17

I think linen is linen regardless of where you buy it. Just look for a good quality linen and try a piece.

Blackhat Publish time 2012-3-28 12:27

lindakfr replied at 2012-3-28 08:17 static/image/common/back.gif
I think linen is linen regardless of where you buy it. Just look for a good quality linen and try a...

I did actually try a piece I had on hand, but the fibers making up the grid slid around and didn't hold the floss at even the lightest tension. I'm wondering if maybe I had the wrong thing, or the wrong weave...?

HollyBlue Publish time 2012-3-28 15:12

Linen does that anyway - I always stitch over 2 with linen - never been able to stitch over 1 and have it make a cross.

Blackhat Publish time 2012-3-29 03:01

HollyBlue replied at 2012-3-28 12:12 static/image/common/back.gif
Linen does that anyway - I always stitch over 2 with linen - never been able to stitch over 1 and ha ...

Nuts, really? It seems like the expensive stuff I got from an actual embroidery shop (on sale -- because I'm a cheapass ;P) held it's form. I wonder if you just have to starch regular linen to get it that way...?

(Maybe if I did stitch over just one it would help keep the threads form bowing together...?)

stitchspider Publish time 2012-9-17 00:52

To me they are the same. I do use my mother's cheat:Iron and starch linen before sewing, on it seems to help keep the fabric taunt when stitching.

Blackhat Publish time 2012-9-17 06:20

stitchspider replied at 2012-9-16 21:52 static/image/common/back.gif
To me they are the same. I do use my mother's cheat:Iron and starch linen before sewing, on it see ...

Iron first, then starch? Or the other way around? (Really want to learn how to use this method; specialty fabric is getting ridiculously expensive.) Thank you. ^^

stitchspider Publish time 2012-9-17 08:25

Blackhat replied at 2012-9-16 17:20 static/image/common/back.gif
Iron first, then starch? Or the other way around? (Really want to learn how to use this method; sp ...

I do it all at once.When I do it I iron, spray with starch and iron flat again. (I just use a small spray bottle filled with water and a half tablespoon of cornstarch )This is optional though, it just makes it easier for me to sew. I do this to the linen from kits too.

Blackhat Publish time 2012-9-17 09:35

stitchspider replied at 2012-9-17 05:25 static/image/common/back.gif
I do it all at once.When I do it I iron, spray with starch and iron flat again. (I just use a sm ...

Woo hoo! I got cornstarch and I got an empty spraybottle right here! Thanks very much for the instructions! :D

Verank Publish time 2012-9-17 14:57

Thank you for the tip- I wanted to work on linen but it seems way to difficult.
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Linen from a Fabric Store; can you stitch on it?