| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 8318|Reply: 104
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] stitching your name on a finished piece?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-10-30 12:24
| Show all posts |Read mode
What is everyone's thought of stitching their name or year on their finished piece?  

I stitched a gift to my sister and I did stitch my first initial and my full last name. My last name is only four letters so I thought it wouldn't look bad at all. I felt more at ease if my finished piece ever went missing somehow that my name would be on it.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2020-12-23 05:17
| Show all posts
I also have never signed my work not because I am not proud of what I have done but because the pattern was not designed by me. It has been said that an artist should always sign their work but in my opinion the artist is the designer not me. Maybe I will someday if I ever design a pattern but for now I consider the artist the pattern designer. I guess I could attach a label stating handmade by or stitched by  with my initials and attach to the outer edge of the piece but haven't done that either.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-10-18 00:19
| Show all posts
I've never signed my works. I made many works for charity, I made many small projects. Maybe some big project for my family - I like the idea about backstitching inicials in some not dark color "invissibly" or stitch it on the edge under frame, so it is not directly visible.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-2 12:48
| Show all posts
I always stitch my initials and the last two digits of the year. I try and put them in the bottom right corner out of the framed area so it's there but doesn't have to be visible. Of course, since my initials are AL it looks like everything was made by someone named Al. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-6-7 19:09
| Show all posts
vividear 2012-11-1 20:11
The size depends on your finishd cross stitch. I haven't done any extra large pieces so I backstit ...

Muchas gracias por compartir tu enlace, a  partir de ahora podre firmar mis regalos :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-6-24 18:06
| Show all posts
bluedales 2017-4-16 01:56
I always stitch my initials and date but hide them they can have the fun of finding them lol

haha, that sounds interesting;P I think I will have a try next time

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-14 11:12
| Show all posts
I put my initials and the year. I try to find somewhere different to put it each time so it's not too noticeable - if the pattern allows for it. Otherwise I just put it in the bottom right.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-18 08:51
| Show all posts
I stitch my initials and the last two numbers of the year in the bottom right hand corner. But its always tiny, I found a cute 1x1 alphabet by Stitchmond on Reddit to use for that.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-7-18 08:48
| Show all posts
I have never stitched my name on a piece but i feel like i might start - it takes so much work and love to do a piece, naming it seems like something that should be done!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-3-28 14:30
| Show all posts
Never done this, but since I've started working on some big pieces I wanted to. Maybe something small in a corner, like say 2 to 3 stitches tall sound about right.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-6-24 18:05
| Show all posts
Never done it, but I really want to. But as you know ,chinese name's not an easy job, and also it takes more places than you would like to.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-30 14:13
| Show all posts
i am so proud of my work and want always put a my name in  corner.
My aunt did it- and now that she has passed away it is a wonderful happy reminder of her.

Comments

I agree. Sorry about your aunt~ I hope all her finished work gives you the best memories.  Post time 2012-10-31 04:55

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-30 17:39
| Show all posts
I have never signed my works, but I think this is a nice idea. I´ll do this now too.

Comments

Then I'm glad to have made this thread to help out!  Post time 2012-10-31 04:56

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-30 18:16
| Show all posts
i always give my initial name for finished stitch especially if i made it as a gift. just for people to remind me;P

Comments

hehe, I would stitch my initial for a gift too! For my personal finished pieces, I shall put my initials also. ^^  Post time 2012-10-31 04:57

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-30 18:45
| Show all posts
Small projects I don't sign, but when I've finished a big pattern I place my initials and the finish date on it; (mostly) on the right lower corner. :)

Comments

Yes, me too! I always place my initials on the bottom right corner of my pattern so it kinda could go with the pattern and it doesn't stick out too much.  Post time 2012-10-31 04:53

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-30 20:29
| Show all posts
No matter the size, I ALWAYS sign my name and the date, in an inconspicuous spot.  I read somewhere that it was important to do so.  Besides, it is YOUR redition of a piece of work, and you should be proud of your accomplishment.  100 years from now, someone will look at it and wonder about the 'Suzy-Q' who stitched that piece :0) !

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +1 Collapse Reason
vividear + 1 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-30 20:36
| Show all posts
I totally agree with you.. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-30 23:30
| Show all posts
I put my name and sometime the date.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-11-1 00:33
| Show all posts
I never thought about doing that... I'm so going to stitch my initials in my larger pieces now!

Comments

Hehe, glad to have helped!  Post time 2012-11-2 03:03

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-11-1 02:10
| Show all posts
What size and what sort of alphabet do you use to do this? I have always wondered about doing it but never sure about how to go about it.

Comments

The size depends on your finishd cross stitch. I haven't done any extra large pieces so I backstitch my name .. because it's the perfect size to me. Here is a link to a site that explains it well! You  Details Reply Post time 2012-11-2 03:11
I always sign my work as well with my initials and the year of completion usually in the lower right hand corner. (date of completion I would put '12 for 2012) If it is a gift, and I have it framed,  Details Reply Post time 2012-11-1 08:13

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-29 13:48 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.071886 sec., 21 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list