Forgot password?
 Register
Author: Hamsteren09
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Gridding Cross Stitch Fabric

[Copy link]
Post time: 2011-1-11 06:09
| Show all posts
Glad I found this thread as I am doing a large project, 16 pages!  Its on 18 count, which I haven't used before and its the most complex chart I have done.  I like the idea of the pen but I am scared it won't wash out and my work ruined.  I like the idea of fishing line as I won't get fluff from cotton either.  I have finished 1 colour on 1st page and finding it difficult to keep track of where I am so I think I must stop and do some gridding :(  Worth it in the end though.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-1-18 00:35
| Show all posts
Post Last Edit by zitocleo at 1-18-2011 00:39

I've never had a problem with the pens, and I use them on every project. Even the little ones. It makes a huge time difference to not have to count, and since I'm usually doing it for pay, the less time I spend, the more money I make. I've also used it on my own personal projects, which have sat, sometimes (ashamed to say) for a year or more, and the marks still come out perfectly. (tho when they've been there for months upon months, I've sometimes had to reinforce them in places where they have air-disolved).

The only thing about the pens is to make sure you use COLD water. And there's no need to "wash" the fabric at all. If you're washing it with detergent, the lines probably will not come out, as soap will set the color. I hold the fabric under the cold tap on the faucet for 30 seconds to 2 minutes (depending on the darkness of the grid I drew - The center point usually takes longer, as I mark that and then also draw lines over it, for example), then lay on a board to dry overnight. There is no misshaping because of washing that way, as it was maintained flat the entire time.

Crystal
Stitched-4-U

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-2-11 21:36
| Show all posts
this is a great idea! i'll try it next time when im stitching big project... like L&L celtic ladies

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-2-13 23:46
| Show all posts
great sharing thread. thanks

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-2-16 16:07
| Show all posts
I always use water solluble pen now, coz it makes me easier to check my work. i'm lucky though because my pen mark can easly be removed.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-2-16 16:26
| Show all posts
Post Last Edit by nusalinda at 2-16-2011 16:27

Hem..I don't do grinding.just to lazy to do it, I color the chart so I won't make to many mistakes, is that true I don't make lots of pick up the thread...let's hear it  from my old time friend stitcher here ha..ha..:D

Comments

I'm too lazy to grid too. I just want to get started stitching! I have also seen people grid with pencil and I'm not sure what they're thinking!  Details Reply Post time 2014-12-7 01:25

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-3-30 22:57
| Show all posts
I don't grid, I find it too much work and I don't see the advantage of it.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-5-2 02:26
| Show all posts
Glad to know that about the pens.  I hate gridding fabric but sometimes it helps.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-6-9 14:10
| Show all posts
I haven't tried to put grids in my projects,
but for the HAED I will because it is such a large project and surely I will get list hehe

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-6-10 23:13
| Show all posts
I grid with a washable pen and the red shiny magic guide thread, just makes it easier as my medication can make my counting large spaces difficult.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 15:57 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.043338 sec., 12 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list