Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How To Wash Your Cross Stitch Piece

[Copy link]
Post time: 2009-5-28 08:51
| Show all posts |Read mode
I never wash my finished cross stitch craft because:
(1) I scared that the color will fade away
(2) I scared that the floss will come out
(3)I actually dunno how to wash it........

In sister forum, many sisters said that actually the finished crafts needed to be washed, then I search online and found the following article:

How To Wash Your Cross Stitch Piece

Every completed project should be laundered before framing orfinishing regardless of the care taken during stitching. Natural oilsfrom your hands enter the fabric during stitching and will eventuallyappear as stains. Any fabric that isn't clean is also subject todiscoloration within a few years.

First, let's cover some basic care instructions that will reduce the possibility of staining.

Washyour hands frequently and avoid using lotions or perfumes. Removecross-stitching from the hoop when not stitching. Store your project ina bag or sewing basket between stitching sessions. Avoid eating,drinking, or smoking while working on your project.

Washing instructions:

• Each cross-stitch piece should be washed separately by hand. NEVERwash cross-stitched pieces with other laundry or with other completedprojects.
  • Place your needlework in cold or lukewarm water with a milddishwashing liquid or Ivory Flakes™. Swish it gently by hand and allowit to soak for 15 minutes. Any stain that requires extra effort may bebrushed with a soft toothbrush. DO NOT scrub.
  • Rinse cross-stitch in cool water several times making sure the final rinse water is free of suds and perfectly clear.
  • Place the piece between two clean white towels or between thefolds of one large one. NEVER allow the piece to touch upon itself orleave damp cross-stitch folded.
  • Roll the towel(s) and squeeze to absorb most of the water. NEVER wring your completed project.
  • If there are fold lines or creases in your cross stitch, checkto make sure they are thoroughly clean. Avoid the application of heatbecause it will set most stains making them permanent.
  • Place the damp/dry piece face down on a clean towel. Iron onthe back side until totally dry using a pressing motion with mediumheat. The use of a pressing cloth such as light-weight muslin willprotect metallic and synthetic fibers.
  • To remove creases it may be necessary to use the steam settingon your iron. Some fabrics such as linen may require using the hightemperature. Your project will not be damaged as long as you use apressing cloth.
  • Any crease that doesn't respond to ironing may be removed by blocking.

Avoid the use of harsh detergents containing phosphates that may notbe totally water soluble. Laundry products designed for hand washinggarments are not recommended for needlework. Many of them may not bebiodegradable making them inappropriate for an heirloom you wish topreserve.

WARNING:Chlorine bleach diluted with water seems to have little effect on DMC™floss but will definitely remove the color from Aida. Obvious stainsshould be treated with white vinegar or lemon juice prior to washing.

Scotchgard™ and products of this type are not recommended for use on cross-stitch as
theingredients may cause a chemical reaction with the dyes in the floss.It is preferable to frame your competed project under glass to preventsoiling. When using another finishing technique simply be sure to useonly washable materials; then if the piece becomes soiled it can easilybe cleaned using the same washing process.

Although most Aida and even weave fabrics are made of cottonor linen, new fabrics are continually appearing on the market. In theevent that one of your projects is stitched on silk or wool requiringdry cleaning, be sure to advise your local dry cleaner to exercise carewith any dry cleaning chemicals. Those containing benzene and otherchemicals may react with the dyes in the floss resulting in majordamage to your needlework.

You have created a thing of beauty with nothing morethan a small piece of fabric, some floss, and a needle.  With your ownhands you have stitched a priceless heirloom. Care for it and it willbe enjoyed for generations.

I think I have to wash my unframed finished crafts.

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coins +6 Collapse Reason
cynth + 1 Thank you very much!
liz0222 + 5 thanks for your experiences sharing with

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2023-12-22 22:05
| Show all posts
Except when I use hand dyed threads, I always wash my work, I mainly use the method you explained and use a few drops of dishwashing. I haven’t had any problem so far - but may be one day ?…. I don’t really do it for cleaning it - although that is what it does ! - but because I feel it has the same merits than blocking a knitted sweater. Your stitches appear more regular, the canvas lays down in a better way. That said, every one has its own way and it”s a good thing !
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-12-10 09:08
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for the info! Very helpful.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-1-3 16:00
| Show all posts
Great tips! Thank you very much for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-12-10 09:09
| Show all posts
Great tips! Thank you very much for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-1-7 20:39
| Show all posts
Frightened to wash mine

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 23:23
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-12-25 14:56
| Show all posts
Very useful

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-5-28 16:40
| Show all posts
Very helpful. Thank you for posting it.
I remember that more attention also needed for the colour combination (example dark red with white) and if the threads are hand-dyed or not, since hand-dyed threads are not colour fast.

To tell the truth, I never wash my finish projects, even some of them take more than 1 year to finish it.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2009-5-28 16:46
| Show all posts
Do you mean it is not a compulsory to wash the finished craft?

If yes, then I also don't want to wash because the washing process sure take up a lot of time......

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-5-28 17:01
| Show all posts
It's not compulsory. As long as it's clean, then it's fine. If it's a little bit dusty then you can just dust it off and that's it.

Here in Europe, there're lots of wine accident, where the stitcher drinking wine while stitching and then sometimes the wine spill on the fabric. Then they have to wash the wine off and washing the stitching as well.

So, keep your stitching and your hand clean while stitching then you don't have to wash it at all.

Comments

Always drink white wine when stitching  Details Reply Post time 2013-9-29 23:21

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2009-5-28 17:04
| Show all posts
I see, thanks for the advice, Jenny!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-5-29 15:31
| Show all posts
You are most welcome :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-6-18 00:17
| Show all posts
I have always washed my finished pieces but I have only used DMC, Anchor and madeira up till now. don;t know about the hand-dyed thread and others if the colours will fade

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-9-30 21:27
| Show all posts
Many thanks for the advice !!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-1-7 02:56
| Show all posts
If i stitch a piece with hand dyed fabric or fibers I do not was it.

If I stitch something just with DMC on aida or linen I almost always wash the finished piece.

Almost all fabrics are treated with sizing during production, that sizing along wiht the natural oils from your hands can stain a piece of needlework over time.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-1-21 19:35
| Show all posts
Thanks for the advice

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-28 20:20 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.155480 sec., 23 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list