Hot search: hat cross stitch Xsd hae xsd Hae
View: 15443|Reply: 98
Collapse the left

[Knitting] Translating a knit pattern to crochet

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-9-9 23:33
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by anniekins at 2019-7-9 12:11

Okay so you've found the perfect pattern...wait...oh no it is for knitting not crochet! What are you going to do?! No worries my friends, I have your answer! I have used this a couple times already and it works out pretty good! It involves a little work but if you are desperate enough as I have been, you can do it :)

Below are some simple steps to convert that knitted pattern to crochet!

Basic items you will need:
- Crochet gauge measure
- Crochet hook
- Knitting pattern
- Yarn (allow roughly 30% more material when converting from knit to crochet)

Step 1:
Experiment with gauge to determine what size crochet hook and yarn will give you the same number of stitches per inch as the knitting pattern requires. Repeatedly check that your project is the correct size, especially if you are crocheting clothing.

Step 2:
Divide the required number of knitting rows in half throughout the pattern. Crochet stitches are generally twice the height of knit stitches.

Step 3:
Replace the number of cast-on stitches in your knit pattern with an equivalent number of crocheted chain stitches. Do not include the original slip stitch or the stitch on the crochet hook when counting stitches.

Step 4:
Work one row of single crochet stitches for every two rows of knit, two rows of purl or one row each of purl and knit.

Step 5:
Substitute a single row of half-double crochet stitches for three rows of knit, purl or a combination of knit and purl.

Step 6:
Use a row of double crochet to replace four rows of knit, purl or a combination and use a row of treble crochet to replace six rows.

Step 7:
Create ribbing by replacing the knit 1, purl 1 pattern with crochet stitches worked in the back loops of each row.

Step 8:
Search a stitch finder -- such as the one offered by Lion Brand -- to locate unusual or complex stitches in your knitting pattern and find a crochet replacement that looks similar.

Please keep in mind it will never look exactly the same. It will be of comparable quality with many differences, especially if you do this with apparel. If you want exact, then yes you will have to learn
the other craft. And don't be fooled by all the books you come across on Amazon because no matter what you do you can never fully translate that pattern to crochet. Just a heads up...plus I don't want you lovely peeps angry with me :)

I hope you find this information useful!

Happy stitching everyone!

Rate

Number of participants 7Gold Coins +18 Collapse Reason
GioBed + 1 Awesome!
NicDobe + 4 Thank you very much!
Bleunoko + 2 Awesome!
Jo Linz + 3 Very usefull
armlz + 2 Usefull
CrochetGranny + 5 Usefull
Molly2 + 1 Usefull

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2023-6-10 02:23
| Show all posts
Rod needles have their own charm, and hook needles are no exception. They are all great and special finished products. Thank you for sharing.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-10-20 11:33
| Show all posts
Wouldn't imagine this was possible! I'm learning to knit but it's way less painful to drop the stitch on crochet than knitting, lol!
Thanks!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-12-19 04:05
| Show all posts
Wow, great tips!  Thanks so much for sharing this.  I'll be using these next time I want to convert

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-6-5 07:36
| Show all posts
Wow, great tips!  Thanks so much for sharing this.  I'll be using these next time I want to convert

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-2-19 09:53
| Show all posts
Sounds like a good idea. Thank you for sharing. But crochet hook and knitting needles are so different...

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-7-8 16:44
| Show all posts
Thank you so so very much I have been wanting to know this forever and you make its so understanable

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-23 06:12
| Show all posts
This is great, thank you! I'll have to try this with a few patterns I've been wishing I could crochet.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-9 07:35
| Show all posts
This is something I've always wanted to do, but I'm making amigurumi so might be a bit harder!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-7-17 14:15 From mobile phones
| Show all posts
This is great! Thanks so much for the info...now if I can just understand it I'll be all right! LOL!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-12 23:05
| Show all posts
Oh Awesome! I've tried before but it never worked but I'll try my patterns again. Thank you!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-9 23:40
| Show all posts
Awwww ... I am so glad to hear that -  I too LOVE DRAGONS!  

Comments

This is the one I love the most but have never done an xsd pattern - http://www.pindiy.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=55264&highlight=dragon  Post time 2013-9-10 01:37
The cross stitch pieces I am looking at are huge -- would be the biggest piece I ever did IF I can get to it but I am in trouble cause I cant decide which is truly my FAV!  Post time 2013-9-10 01:31
Oooow maybe start our own little crochet along so we can make sure we don't start anything else! At least nothing too big LOL  Post time 2013-9-10 01:21
Yea right...good luck with that I've been saying that after every new project LOLOLOL! Well WHEN we get there we'll have to share! :)  Post time 2013-9-10 01:19
BUT after XMas I am doing something for ME!  Post time 2013-9-9 23:59
No I have not -- I have nothing on my own walls that I have ever made :( Right now I have several things I HAVE TO get done especially because they are for the kids, I cant disappoint them  Post time 2013-9-9 23:58
Have you stitched any? I keep trying to get my current projects caught up so I can start on mine...I have two I desperately want to make but I keep getting requests : P  Post time 2013-9-9 23:57

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-9 23:59
| Show all posts
Thank you very much! Very useful!:)

Comments

Thanks for the rating! I should have posted this a long time ago :)  Post time 2013-9-10 01:22

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-10 03:16
| Show all posts
this is GREAT information!!!! I do knit, but I don't like it, it takes too long and if you loose a stitch it take too long to get it back.....I changed to crochet because, it's faster, it uses less yarn and it is easier.....some knit pattern are prettier, especially in clothing...so I do knit clothing....thanks for the info......hugs

Comments

Yes that's exactly why I chose to learn crochet over knitting...sooo much easier! I agree though, knitted clothing looks so much nicer then most of the crocheted stuff I've seen. Glad to help :)  Post time 2013-9-10 03:21

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-12 23:42
| Show all posts
Great tips, I knit, but find it really slow compared to crochet and my hand get crampy.

I've seen those books and wondered if it really works, maybe Ill play around with some of your tips, thanks!

Comments

Glad you found this interesting! It is helpful but they never turn out the same and you have to play with the stitches a lot to figure out what best resembles the original piece. Be sure to share!  Post time 2013-9-13 00:04

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-13 00:28
| Show all posts
Sometimes it is better to do lace knitting with Tunisian crochet or Tunisian lace instead.

And there is always knooking now too.

Comments

Great info thank you for sharing! I haven't heard of those styles before...going to do some research now :)  Post time 2013-9-13 01:37

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-12-8 07:59
| Show all posts
Awesomeness! Thanks for the info!

Comments

You're welcome! If you find anything you'd like to add please do!  Post time 2013-12-8 10:16

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-1-27 07:52
| Show all posts
Thank You So much

Comments

You are so very welcome! I hope you find this information useful!  Post time 2014-1-27 23:01

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-2-14 06:42
| Show all posts
Great instructions. i dont think my skills are good enough to pull it off though .

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-19 05:25 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.061233 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list