Search
Hot search: AR doll Spanish Free russian
View: 1565|Reply: 21
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] french knots

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-3-23 20:32
| Show all posts |Read mode
I absolutely hate French knots and I cant make them to save my life!!!I also don't like beading much and ive heard some say they just replace the French knots with beads.Is it really better than the French knots?I can bead far better than those CrAzY knots LOL.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2015-3-23 21:17
| Show all posts
I use mostly thicker crossstitches. Works right for me.

Comments

Great tip, thanks!  Details Reply Post time 2015-3-23 21:56
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-8-11 23:39
| Show all posts
I really struggle with French Knots, too.  I recently finished a piece and it just looks so bad because I couldn't get the knots right.  Thank you so much for the suggestions they'll definitely come in useful!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-1-18 01:33
| Show all posts
I'm currently working a piece that has lots of knots. I've been dreading doing them!! I'm going to try all these suggestions as I'm sure some of them will help. I really like the bead idea too. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-6-6 09:13
| Show all posts
thanks for all the tips.  I am working on some Christmas stockings that all have french knots for snow flakes.  I prefer beads but as these socks are for babies I don't want to use the beads.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-25 00:25
| Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-6-13 15:00
| Show all posts
Thanks for the tips. Mine always seem to fall apart, so I know I am doing something wrong. i will try what you all have suggested.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-6-6 09:11
| Show all posts
Nannette

Login/Register to enlarge
2016-5-23 21:34

An easy way to make them :
youtube.com/watch?v=W1Cq24d5-8s

thanks that video is great.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-14 07:18
| Show all posts
I use beads too.  They're far more likely to last than my attempts at French knots.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-6-7 19:30
| Show all posts
Muy buenas ideas para sustituir los nudos, y muy buen tutorial y consejos para hacerlos.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-5-1 03:46
| Show all posts
I use beads or I just ignore the need, but I'll have to try some of these tips out!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-23 20:43
| Show all posts
agree with you tonya,
I can try and try my whole lifetime,
my French Knots looks always ugly,
no youtube-tutorial helps,

since LouAnna pointed the solution with beads, I use beads
beads are the better choice for this.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-23 21:56
| Show all posts

antje

2015-3-23 14:17

I use mostly thicker crossstitches. Works right for me.

Great tip, thanks!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-24 18:08
| Show all posts
I have real trouble with French knots too, and when a pattern calls for a lot of them, I usually substitute beads.

But in the past I have made an occasional decent French knot. I've found that to do it right, you must do the following:

* Use a shorter thread (don't use a super long piece of floss -- nothing more than 4-5 inches)
* Two strands work better than one
* Pull the thread tight to make sure it's up all the way through the fabric, then hold it up with one hand and loop the needle around with the other
* Wrap the thread around your needle 3-6 times to make your knot -- less and it won't show up
* Hold the wrapped area (the knot) down against the fabric with one finger while poking the needle through
* Slowly ease the needle through the fabric, careful NOT to let the knot slip through as well

When the needle is all the way under the fabric, continue to pull gently to tighten the knot until it is perfectly shaped and sits on top of the fabric. Sometimes I get a perfect knot that doesn't sit flush on the fabric, and I have to stitch the extra floss on the backside to hold it down. It takes a lot of practice, and you have to go really slow. It helps if you always use a fresh thread and don't try to tie off a French knot from an existing piece of floss. That way if you mess up, you can pull it out without screwing up anything else.

Mine still don't always come out right, and I still don't like making French knots, but when I can't find a bead in a particular color, I give it a go. Hope this helps!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-24 18:29
| Show all posts
At first, and I do mean at first as my first project ever required French knots, I couldn't figure it out either, despite the help of 2 experienced stitches. It came suddenly with a later project.

I have found that the secret is to keep the tension on the thread after you have passed it around the needle twice, and to not to have the needle too far above the fabric. Then, as Dmcjms says, go slow and hold the knot as it forms against the fabric. But k the tension on the thread as you do so. I do this by holding the thread in my left hand, and using my left thumb to hold the knot.

Now rarely does a knot give me trouble, and most turn out very well.

Comments

Thanks great help, I will try that.  Details Reply Post time 2015-5-1 03:14

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +7 Collapse Reason
rteixeira63 + 7 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-5-1 03:14
| Show all posts

AMW

2015-3-24 05:29

At first, and I do mean at first as my first project ever required French knots, I couldn't figure i ...

Thanks great help, I will try that.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-9-3 14:33
| Show all posts
Yo les tenía terror!! pero un día me decidí a superarlo y practiqué, y ahora me encantan!! :loveliness: en hilo de algodón, metalizados, cintas...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-24 18:24 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.102596 sec., 18 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list