| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
View: 5990|Reply: 80
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Where do you like to start a pattern from?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-6-30 10:26
| Show all posts |Read mode
Personally, I'm traditionally a top to bottom, left to right kind of stitcher.  It's what makes sense to me.
But I've seen lots of people start in the middle, and even more stitch from the bottom of the pattern to the top.

Interested in hearing your preferences and why.

Care to share?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2017-10-22 23:52
| Show all posts
It depends on the pattern. If it’s a smaller pattern, I tend to start in the middle. With larger patterns like my Heaven and Earth Designs, I like to start in the top left and work down and over. Thee only exception to this is the Lord Commander HAED I’m working on now. I chose to start on the page of the pattern that has his face in it. The pattern only has about 16 colors, so I wanted some instant satisfaction.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-9-23 09:09
| Show all posts
I go by what the instructions/pattern says. I'm a new stitcher though (well, new again lol) so I am only using kits at the moment. Hopefully soon I can use kits/fabric with the design already on it ready to stitch (or learn how to copy to the fabric) so I can go top to bottom, left to right, as it seems like it would be much easier for me.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-10-1 11:26
| Show all posts
I try to hold the rule "move against half stitches move". I like to make half stitches from left bottom to right top, so I start the chart from right top. To stitch from empty to filled. It feels strange because natural for us is while stitching to move as a book reading move.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-1-24 19:48
| Show all posts
Hi girls! I start from the  middle, that helps me  to put pattern in the  middle :)  My frieng Mirica always began in upper left corner, and my friend Xenia always from the  bottom :)  Happy stitching, girls!:D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-12-31 17:04
| Show all posts

I always start from the top left corner in every thing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-8-14 00:33
| Show all posts
I have always started in the middle, as that is how I was taught. However, I have noticed that when my friend starts in the top left, she can preserve a lot of fabric in the end.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-3-8 20:12
| Show all posts
I always start from the middle I don't grid, and the one time I started in (what I thought was) the upper left corner, I had to pull it all out and redo the whole thing...

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-8-12 23:10
| Show all posts
vu que je délimite la grille sur la toile , je commence toujours par un coin , je prend en general le plus "difficile" , comme je n'en parle plus après

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-7 19:11
| Show all posts
update: I used to start in the middle, but now I always grid my fabric - with a special pen or with special thread. So now I always start in the upper left corner

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-12-31 13:30
| Show all posts
I like to start from the left hand top corner, because i was always scared if i started in the middle i would not have any border fabric  left

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-6-30 10:53
| Show all posts
I start in the middle.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-6-30 12:42
| Show all posts
For me it depends on the  chart.  If it was a HAED or a full coverage chart I would start at the top left.  Most kits I start in the middle.
It just depends  on how complicated it is.    Most cases I start in the middle.  I think starting from the bottom would lead to wearing of the
stitches already stitched.  So I usually start in the middle work up and across then down to the bottom allowing the stitches done to be rolled under my frame or hoop.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-6-30 13:00
| Show all posts
For me I start left top corner every time ,Makes sense to as we stitch left to right ,,, right ? lol

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-6-30 13:29
| Show all posts
I always start in the left bottom corner.
Only if the pattern is very big, I start in the left top corner.

Comments

Yes, indeed, I do. I like to see my work "grow" (not "drop down").  Post time 2015-6-30 16:17
Do you find it easier to stitch up rather than down?  Details Reply Post time 2015-6-30 16:05

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-6-30 16:05
| Show all posts

Login/Register to enlarge
pixy

Login/Register to enlarge
2015-6-30 13:29

I always start in the left bottom corner.
Only if the pattern is very big, I start in the left top c ...

Do you find it easier to stitch up rather than down?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-6-30 20:18
| Show all posts
Top left for me............:)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-7-1 23:56
| Show all posts
I always start from the middle. I have started using the parking method and it changes according to which quadrant i am stitching.

Left to right has lesser chance of soiling the stitches. But if i start from the middle to the top left, i need to stitch right to left.

PS: i stitch 1 row of the same colour going ////// first before coming back with \\\\\\

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-7-2 02:20
| Show all posts
Top left , always!   That's how I learned and going down makes more sees to me sine I stitch left to right and work down.  

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-7-2 08:38
| Show all posts
When I stitch a Heaven and Earth, I do a full x before moving on to the next stitch.  When I used to do a plonk load of Mirabilia, I would do the /////// then \\\\\ method.  But still, always left to right top to down.  

Someone once started me in the middle and it was a clusterfart of confusion for me.

Comments

LOL at clusterfart of confusion  Details Reply Post time 2015-7-7 22:28

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-19 15:04 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.096805 sec., 24 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list