Register
Author: stitcherex
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] How do you stitch these ?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-12-21 00:31
| Show all posts
Edited by mfsanders at 2015-12-21 00:35

Some stitchers find the center of their fabric and begin the center of the pattern there.  I have been doing mine from the top down, from the left to the right.  I think I may go back to doing it from the center out.  Additionally I find it helpful to grid the fabric and I think there is a post in here on how to do it.  To grid the fabric you use long running stitches of a single strand of thread that will stand out against the fabric.  Make them going both across and up and down the fabric for every 10 stitches - so if you are using fabric that would be 2 over 2, it would be every 20 strands on the fabric that you grid.  Then you fill in the spaces according to the pattern.  As to the overdyed threads - they look lovely but they are very expensive - usually $2 or more per skein.  0

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +4 Collapse Reason
stitcherex + 4 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-3 18:07
| Show all posts
Bardzo ładny haft, ja bym zaczęła od centrum haftu

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-17 14:34
| Show all posts
for this I would start in the center but really its all a matter of preference

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-24 05:23
| Show all posts

Never heard of gridding the fabric, but it makes so much sense especially on a large, complicated pattern.  That will be the next new tool I utilize - thanks.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-3-17 05:18
| Show all posts
I would start in the middle in this case.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-3-29 07:07
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-4-28 20:48
| Show all posts
My mother in law told me to always start in the middle, and she's been stitching forever, so...I like to follow her advice!

Comments

Thanks ctstahl, I have decided to start from the centre too ! After studying the chart more, there are logical sections. I can begin in the middle, work outwards.  Post time 2016-10-12 10:42

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-5-23 21:37
| Show all posts
With overdyed threads, you should stitch your cross stitches one by one to get a nice shading.

Comments

Thanks Nannette, you are right. I've recently tried completing the stitch - it is so much lovelier !  Post time 2016-10-12 10:41

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-6-28 11:16
| Show all posts
Being left handed I have pretty much taught myself how to stitch. I find that after I have decided the size of my fabric and note how much extra I have on all  sides, I measure down from the top, 2 inches all around, fold fabric in half, top to bottom, measure down 2 inches and start there. It works for me!

Comments

Thanks Nanels, starting in the centre makes sense. After studying the chart a bit more, the designs are in sections, I can actually start from the middle, and continue to work outwards.  Post time 2016-10-12 10:39

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-10-17 09:58
| Show all posts
I always start from the top left and do all of each color.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 17:26 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.057981 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list