| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 8115|Reply: 81
Collapse the left

How do you convert a pattern to a repaint?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2016-2-22 11:38
| Show all posts |Read mode
Can someone tell me how to convert a regular pattern to a repaint?
Thanks
SallySue

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2016-2-24 06:16
| Show all posts
To those who think there is no difference between a repaint and a scanned version, you couldn't be more wrong. They are not the same thing. To start with, scanned patterns take up too much needed space on your computer, a repaint is a WAY smaller file for the same pattern. Go find a scanned pattern that also has a repaint done and compare the sizes of the files! I started out with scans and was not happy as I have trouble reading black and white patterns. So many I liked only came in B&W so I was frustrated trying to read them. That and you were dependent on the person making the scans to do them correctly, clear, flat and enlarged, which we all know not everyone on here does or even knows how to do! I started looking into the repaints and found that if you can click your mouse, you can use the PM4 to make repaints. You just need to learn how to use the pattern maker and the possibilities are endless. You can change the size of a pattern, the color, fix problems, and print all with a few clicks of your mouse. All of the repaints include the listed colors and materials you will need without having page after page of scans. Sometimes you might have to add a new bead or floss to it's list materials if it's a brand new color or bead that's just came out. Whenever I find a repaint pattern that I want or if I make one, I then throw the scanned one in the recycle bin and delete. My computer space gets freed up for even more patterns if I choose :). The only thing for me was learning to use it. First off, the program has it's own HELP section and there are even videos out there showing you how. Once I learned how, I have found it to be therapeutic, almost like coloring in a coloring book. I enjoy it and it relaxes me, plus I get the benefit of making my patterns in color or black and white if I want. When I print them out they are clear and concise, any size I want to make, unlike some scans that come out all crooked looking or too dark and small to read. As far as fixing a problem pattern, you would need to find the correction and enter it into the repaint or judge for yourself if you think something is wrong. I just did one and the scan had a wrong symbol. I knew by looking at the pattern which color it should be and fixed the symbol in my repaint. You can always go back and fix a repaint, making that another plus for it's use. I can't rave enough about the PM4. Once you learn to use it, you can even convert photos to a repaint pattern! These type programs are the bomb! There are several different types of the programs such as the PCS, PM4, etc. but I like the PM4 best. The PCS has so many versions and the latest one PCS10 will not let you open repaints made with any other of the PCS versions :( The PM4 doesn't have that problem. Here is what I have:
I use the PM4 for making all of my repaints. Repaints for the PM4 are called .xsd files.
I have a PCS7 version for opening repaints called .pat files.
I have the MyriaCross Converter for converting PCS files to PM4 files. I can then throw the PCS file away or keep for an emergency if I want.
Lastly, I have the PCS10 because there are some patterns uploaded here that are only in PCS10 format. Once I open them with the PCS10 I can then make a screen print of the pattern and re-make it in PM4 format if I want.
This all sounds like a lot to take in and for a newbie, it is. For now I would just start with one program, learn it, experiment with it, and if I enjoyed it, then I would look into downloading the others. They are all here in the forum under Cross Stitch Programs. I'm posting the link to the PM4 for you. Hope this helps. :)
Pattern Maker PRO 4.08 - Full Version-English/Russian
http://www.pindiy.com/forum.php? ... 8&fromuid=53349
(Source: www.pindiy.com)

Rate

Number of participants 3Gold Coins +15 Collapse Reason
Claire T + 1 Very Goid Explanation Thanks
bs.frog + 10 Amazing Answer, Thank You!
craftlover101 + 4 Excellent!

View Rating Log

Reply Support 3 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-23 02:46
| Show all posts
Personally, I like a repaint even if I have a scan because with the repaint I can change the size of my printed version, which makes it much easier to work with. If I use the scan, I can only print the picture (the scan pages) the size they are or I have to change the size by manipulating the image, and I don't get the overlaps as I do with the repaint. So it is much easier to use the repaint.

These old eyes appreciate that flexibility! So, thank you to all who go to the effort of creating those repaints, you are appreciated.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2018-2-14 01:58
| Show all posts
These are the instructions that another member of the forum helped me with when I first started doing repaints using Pattern Maker.
I wrote them down and keep them handy.  Hope they help other members.

Repaint Instructions
Import image.
Unclick “convert the image into full cross stitches”
Click include image as underlay for tracing.
Adjust fabric size to at least 300x300
Align grid section:
Check select grid
In box underneath put the number of stitches between the reference point for marking the grid.  Do this in multiples of 10.  Put the grid marker icon over the intersection of two gridlines.
When grid lines up then click import and then close.
After that to a Hold Control followed by hitting “z” twice to enlarge grid.
Delete the original pattern before importing next piece.
When you import the 2nd part of your design Hold Control followed by hitting “Z” three times to recreate original grid size. Do this after hitting close when you complete the import.
Move the new imported part of the pattern to the proper spot by hitting the rectangular selection button and moving the black dots with your keyboard arrow keys.
Palatte
Double click on empty box at bottom of screen to pull up palette.  Either enter color number or double click on color box to select floss colors.
Use symbols bar to select symbol for floss color.  Use the symbol that matches the original pattern.  Be sure to click the box to “show floss color under symbol”.
Select number of floss strands.
Select color and symbol for backstitches, French knots, beads etc.
To make the symbol easier to read check box for bold.
If using beads or French knots use a font character instead of dot for easier reading.
Do all backstitching first and use contrasting color to make it easier to read.

When pattern is complete and you are happy with it click dotted rectangular box at top of screen then hit the delete key on your keyboard.  Be sure that the little black dots show around your pattern.  You can reverse this by hitting the undo button on the top of the screen.

Be sure to hit the save button occasionally while working on the pattern to avoid accidental loss.

To make a color correction select the new color on the palette then drag it to the color you want replaced and left click.

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coins +4 Collapse Reason
Jane Doe + 3 Thank you very much!
Claire T + 1 Thanks for the detail

View Rating Log

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-29 04:12
| Show all posts
SallySue 2016-2-27 20:12
Hi,

I downloaded the pattern maker from the link you provided.  The second half downloaded perfec ...

I went ahead and downloaded this new version. For me it was the 2nd part that gave me a problem message. I put them in the same folder and just went ahead and tried to install it. It installed perfectly. The simplest thing to do would be to delete both parts and any folders that were created from them. Then go back and re-download both parts again. It won't cost you any coins at all. Open the first file. If it works right and creates a folder, go back and open the second but when the box pops up and says it sending to a folder, click on the arrow at the side of that box and click on the first folders name. It will then go into the same folder as the first one. Then open that folder and double click on the title in the list that says application. Hope this helps you and anyone who needs help with it. :) Let us know how it goes.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-2-25 03:52
| Show all posts
evenflo09 2016-2-24 06:16
To those who think there is no difference between a repaint and a scanned version, you couldn't be m ...

Thank you.  This is exactly the information I was looking for!  You did a wonderful job of explaining how to do things and why.  The repaint patterns are wonderful.  It's great to be able to enlarge the section of the pattern you are working on.  I was trying to find out if I could scan in a black and white pattern to something like Pattern Maker and then color it. Thanks for explaining how this is done.  I also appreciate the link to the appropriate software.  Playing with this will be my weekend project.
Again this is a great answer and I do appreciate you taking the time to give such a detailed answer!
SallySue

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-14 00:00
| Show all posts
Thank you for this post. I am starting on repainting a few patterns myself and this helped clear up at least MOST of my confusion in starting. :) I cannot say I'll be doing a ton of it, but I can definitely save the paper patterns I have and make them easier to read (and thereby to *do*!)

I think most of my confusion stemmed from the fact I was under the impression one could take a scan, underlay it in the program and literally *paint* over it. However, in my attempts this came out either unreadable or the gridlines don't match up so badly that you spend more time trying to figure out what goes where. :Q Now get that I need to just stagger my windows and paint one stitch at a time. Doing one 10x10 square at a time, across the rows. Slow going, but possible.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-26 00:20
| Show all posts
Darcyandrick 2016-2-25 10:05
Thank you, thank you for such helpful information; the newbies truly thank you.  I have a question ...

To be honest I've never tried to upload to a tablet. I always just use my cheap printer and make paper copies so I can mark off where I've stitched. I would imagine that they would open on a tablet just like on a puter if you have the PM4 program on the tablet. You might want to go to the Pattern Maker website and check that out. Someone posted once that there is an option to turn the patten to jpegs FROM the PM4 itself, so that may be an option though I have not done that either. I just like my paper copies so have never looked into it. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-23 23:15
| Show all posts
SallySue 2016-2-23 22:37
Yes!  That's just what I meant!  Thank you so much.  Do you know if this feature is available in t ...

I have the full version of Pattern Maker, and therefore do not have the PM Viewer. I do not know if that feature is available in the Pattern Maker Viewer (I think it is), but you can check by doing as follows:

First, double click somewhere on the palette at the bottom:

050213jllkr1plsplktz9p.jpg

You should get a number of options when you've double clicked, choose the tab that says Symbol format, and check the box next to where it says Allow color behind symbols:

050240w0l5hz40p4jhhm0o.jpg

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +10 Collapse Reason
Turquoise + 10 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-23 00:53
| Show all posts
There is an entire section here on the forum dedicated to repainted charts only. I don't see the point really but daily new repaints are added to that section. Much prefer the original scans. They say if there is a  mistake in the original chart the repaint will catch it. But really if the person creating the repaint doesn't know there is one then they have just repainted the mistake too. Again I don't get the reason to repaint a chart. But lately they've been repainting HAED's which at the end of the day are already repaints using the same or similar software! Crazy. LOL

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-22 20:50
| Show all posts
You will have to copy the pattern stitch by stitch (symbol by symbol) into the repaint software of your choice.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-2-22 23:37
| Show all posts
Strawberry Cat 2016-2-22 20:50
You will have to copy the pattern stitch by stitch (symbol by symbol) into the repaint software of y ...

Thanks!  I understand why there aren't too many repaint patterns out there!  I won't be doing this.  I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question.

SallySue

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-2-23 03:10
| Show all posts
SallySue 2016-2-22 23:37
Thanks!  I understand why there aren't too many repaint patterns out there!  I won't be doing this ...

Hi,

Forgot to ask when I first replied but do you know what the repaint software is?  I looked up pattern maker and couldn't find any information about colorizing an existing pattern.

SallySue

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-23 03:35
| Show all posts
SallySue 2016-2-23 03:10
Hi,

Forgot to ask when I first replied but do you know what the repaint software is?  I looked up ...

There are several cross stitch programs out there. Pattern Maker is a well known and loved one. What do you mean by "colorizing an existing pattern"?

Pattern Maker will allow you to change any colour you like if you already have a pattern in XSD-format (XSD is the Pattern Maker extention).

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-23 03:39
| Show all posts
SallySue
I understand why there aren't too many repaint patterns out there!

actually 14711charts in Repaint section

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-2-23 07:36
| Show all posts
Strawberry Cat 2016-2-23 03:35
There are several cross stitch programs out there. Pattern Maker is a well known and loved one. Wh ...

So, if I have a pattern that is black and white I can use Pattern Maker to change it to color?  Is this how people create the repaint patterns?

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-2-23 07:43
| Show all posts
elderangel 2016-2-23 02:46
Personally, I like a repaint even if I have a scan because with the repaint I can change the size of ...

Hi,

If you have One Note, it comes with Microsoft Word, it's easy to copy a pattern into it.  You can then enlarge the pattern making it much easier to use.  It's not as good as a repaint pattern but still pretty easy on the eyes.  You can just use your computer this way and not print out the pattern.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-29 05:33 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.114771 sec., 21 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list