| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 1637|Reply: 20
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How do you clean finished cross-stitch work?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2016-6-24 00:33
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hello, I'm fairly new to cross stitching. I just bought Dimension's kit and have been working on it.
While working on the kit, I made pencil marks for guide and the fabric got dirty and wrinkly.
Can I use washing-machine? or Do I have to hand wash it? Can I iron my fabric? Do colors fade?
The fabric is beige cotton Aida

Thank you.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2020-12-23 05:00
| Show all posts
To remove pencil from aida cloth I recommend using a solution of 3-tablespoons of lukewarm to cold water with 2 to 3 drops of a clear liquid dish soap and 1-teaspoon of rubbing alcohol. Using a soft clean toothbrush dab into your solution and delicately brush the pencil mark. Rinse thoroughly with clean cold water and place onto a towel to dry flat. If once dry the stain is not removed repeat.  
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-7 19:54
| Show all posts
hmm, If I am unsure of colorfast floss, I fix them (with vinegar or special solution) - so they won´t bleeb when be washed. I grid my fabric with a special pen (disappear if in contact with water) or special thread, .. when I am finished I like to wash my piece in lukewarm wter with a little drop of soap - let it soak a bit and clean itunder fresh water, Put it on a colth and let it dry! Be careful when you have beads on the fabric, wah it first and iron it - THEN bead it! When the fabric is dry I iron it - you can damp it a bit, and make sure you use a  cloth as protection. Keep ypur iron not too hot, it takes a little longer, but you can be sure of you donßt "hurt" it =) have fun!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-6-30 21:01
| Show all posts
Edited by anniekins at 2016-7-1 22:59

I would hand wash this in very warm water with only a small amount of detergent
you can iron but iron on a cool setting on the reverse side otherwise you'll risk scorching the thread
if you use a hoop and do this it shouldn't get that wrinkly and will only need a light iron
for future work mark off on your pattern rather than the fabric itself
always fold your fabric & pattern into quarters and start in the middle, that way you should't need to mark your fabric

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-12-23 04:50
| Show all posts
I recommend anyone just starting out to purchase a small sized kit say 5 x 7 finished size on 14-count aida cloth. In general with kits the aida cloth provided is too small to fit into a large hoop that accommodates the entire finished size. So I would also recommend purchasing a 10-inch plastic hoop and a 15-inch x 15-inch piece of 14-count aida cloth. This way the cloth will fit into the 10-inch hoop with enough material surrounding the finished work that you will not have crease marks from either your hands or the hoop. A hoop keeps your work clean and it is easier to find the center by folding the material and using a pin to mark your spot.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-3-19 14:08
| Show all posts
Do NOT put it in the washing machine! Get ahold of some newborn baby laundry detergent and a CLEAN bucket. You want to put a little bit of baby laundry detergent and lukewarm water into the bucket, put your piece in, and swish it around gently. Then take it out and rinse for at least 3 minutes. Lay it between two towels to dry, then iron on low to get the wrinkles out.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-1-4 02:47
| Show all posts
don't wash if you are using overdyes - many of the colors will run, spot clean if possible.  always wash hands before stitching to remove any oil from them.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-1 09:05
| Show all posts
Depends on how dark the pencil marks are, could attempt to use an small eraser to rub the marks out.
In the future, use a water-soluble marker or thread/fishing line to grid

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-6-24 06:27
| Show all posts
hand wash with a mild dish detergent.  When clean, rinse and then roll up in a towel to absorb excess water.  Iron with medium heat.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-6-24 12:18
| Show all posts
Thank you for quick answer :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-6-25 01:07
| Show all posts
Don't forget to Iron it upside down, i.e. the wrong side.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-6-30 21:02
| Show all posts
you can iron but iron on a cool setting on the reverse side

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-6-30 21:02
| Show all posts
for future work mark off on your pattern rather than the fabric itself

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-6-30 21:03
| Show all posts
if you use a hoop and do this it shouldn't get that wrinkly and will only need a light iron

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-6-30 21:04
| Show all posts
always fold your fabric & pattern into quarters and start in the middle, that way you should't need to mark your fabric

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-6-30 21:06
| Show all posts
jazzo 2016-6-25 01:07
Don't forget to Iron it upside down, i.e. the wrong side.

the reverse side otherwise you'll risk scorching the thread

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-29 13:29 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.053700 sec., 15 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list