Search
Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 2940|Reply: 31
Collapse the left

[Knitting] How to read a Knitting Chart

[Copy link]
Post time: 2016-10-20 21:52
| Show all posts |Read mode
I got this information from a news letter that i get. Please rememer not all designers yous the same symbols. you should read their keys. Personally i always have to enlarge them than translate them. But if you are new to charts this is a good starting point

Charts give you a way to visually represent knitting.

How most charts workI say “most” because there are other ways to indicate knitting on a chart. I’m going to show you the way I see most charts presented (and it’s the way I do charts as well).
Numbers on the sideThese indicate 2 things:
  • which row/rnd you’re on
  • which side you start on. Numbers on the right are for RS rows and numbers on the left are for WS rows.
Let’s look at our sample again

not all charts show the wrong side of the pattern. They will normally give written directions on what you are to do on wrong side.

We have an 8 row repeat, knit flat.
Direction of ReadingYou start reading at the edge where the number is and move in the opposite direction. So, if the number is on the right, read the chart moving to the left (and the opposite). If you’re right-handed this will be the same way you’re knitting.
Looking again at our sample…

The odd-numbered rows (rows 1, 3, 5, etc.) are RS rows and then even-numbered rows (2, 4, 6, etc.) are the WS rows.
In the round or flat?Bottom to TopRegardless of the method of knitting, all charts are read from bottom up to the top.
Worked FlatIf a chart is for something worked flat, you’ll find numbers on both the right and left. Typically you’ll find all the odd numbers on one side and all the even numbers on the other.
Our sample chart is a good example of this:

Worked in the roundIf a chart is for something worked in the round, every round starts on the right. You’ll find all numbers on that one side.

Here’s that same chart, but for in-the-round. Note all the round numbers are on the right, and the key doesn’t have RS and WS stitch descriptions because it’s not necessary.
What about WS rows?This is somewhat a matter of the chart maker’s preference. A lot of stitch patterns have what are called “rest rows” where you just work the stitches just like the previous row. So, if the stitch below is a purl as it faces you, you purl it. For YO’s you need to get instructions on how to work them. (or like in our sample chart, we see the WS rows). Sometimes they’re knit and sometimes they’re purled. The pattern should tell you which it is if it doesn’t have WS rows.
If the pattern doesn’t have rest rows – meaning that there are things going on (like decreases and increases) then the WS rows must be charted.
KeyEvery chart should have a key. It might just tell you what the symbol means and it might tell you how to work the symbol. Here’s the key in our sample chart

What you seeThe chart shows you what you see when looking at the RS. The symbols often look like what you’re doing (purls look like little bumps, YO’s are circles, and the decreases lean in the direction it slants) If your chart is for something in-the-round, you’re set.
If it’s for something flat and includes the WS rows, those rows are actually worked in the opposite of what you see on the chart. So, a purl stitch is really worked as a knit, and a k2tog is really a p2tog. The key should tell you how to work the symbol when on both a RS and a WS row (look above at our key). YO is just listed once because the symbol is worked the same way regardless of it being on a RS or WS row.
OutlinesA repeat is often shown as an outline. It may tell you how many times to work it, or you may need to figure that out yourself by counting what’s after the repeat.
Here’s our chart again. The repeat is outlined in red. There are 2 sts on either side that are just worked once. In this chart, looking at Row 1, you’d work: K2 (the first 2 sts), *k2, k2tog, yo, p, yo, ssk, k2, rep from *, k2.

Whati do to translate a key chart is using colored pencils or markers i color codeeach symbol, than i color code the chart it's self.
For example. The symbol for purls or knits on the wrong side row this symbolmeans the opposite. So i take a color pensile and mark all the purl stitchespink, and all the knit stitches blue.
thanfor the other symbols i choose different colors. take your time in doing this. the symbol can be tricky in the translation. just one dot can change what the symbol represents.

Once you’re at the top of the chartIf you work all the rows of the chart, you often start over again at the bottom. Your pattern should tell you something like “work X reps” or “work until it’s Y inches”.
The shape is “off”Regular knitting stitches are not square – a knit stitch takes up more space horizontally than vertically. This means the stitch is wider than it is tall.
Here’s a good way to remember it. Take a typical gauge – 1824 (that’s 18 sts and 24 rows per 4″). Now if you think about it, it takes 18 sts widthwise to go the same as 24 sts lengthwise. So, the stitch is wider than it is tall.
This is exacerbated in garter stitch.
Speaking of garter stitch…
Garter Stitch ChartsEven though garter stitch that’s worked flat is knit every row, garter stitch is indicated on a chart as a row of knits followed by a row of purls.
Well that’s confusing, right?
Keep in mind that the chart is showing you what you see – and not necessarily what you knit. The back-side of garter stitch is really just a purl stitch.
And you guessed it, here’s our chart again:

You can see a two-stitch garter stitch edge on either side. On RS rows, it’s shown as a knit, and on WS rows, it’s shown as a purl. But, when you look at the key, you can see that the symbol for those edges on WS rows are actually knit as well.
Before you start
  • read the chart
  • read the key
  • make sure it all makes sense to you and it’s error-free

how you are suppose to know if it is error free is beyond me. If i have questions i some times contact the disghner. Some are very nice others are not. I have found that most of the desghner's can be found at ravelry. And some times if you go to ravelry if there is an error in the pattern it is stated and the correction for the error's.

I hope you didn't mind my little add in's.
I hope you have found this informative and you enjoyed it
thank you.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Rate

Number of participants 3Gold Coins +13 Collapse Reason
woolfan + 10 Usefull
sueni + 1 Thank you very much!
chokocat + 2 Very useful, thank you very much!!!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2020-6-12 01:53
| Show all posts
Si, agradezco toda la ayuda que beneficie en que siga mejorando la tecnica, muchas gracias
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-18 00:12
| Show all posts
Thanks, I find it easier to work with charts rather than with text myself.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-3-26 11:08
| Show all posts
Thank  you  for  sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-5-5 04:06
| Show all posts
Very usefull  thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-14 13:48
| Show all posts

Very nice! Thank you for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-8 06:22
| Show all posts
Very helpful.  Thank you so much.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-8-27 21:34
| Show all posts
I love the color-coding idea, thanks!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-2-19 09:55
| Show all posts
Thank you! Chart keys are important !

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-5-28 07:51
| Show all posts
knitting charts, genetics maps;P

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-5-28 20:46
| Show all posts
useful information my friend

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-10-21 00:38
| Show all posts
Thank You!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-12-16 23:20
| Show all posts
Thanks - very informative!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-1-9 16:38
| Show all posts
thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-1-23 21:47
| Show all posts

thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-15 02:50
| Show all posts
Köszönöm szépen.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-23 06:14
| Show all posts
Very comprehensive, thanks!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-8-12 07:20
| Show all posts
Thank you very much

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-28 17:57 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.128566 sec., 20 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list