| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
Hot search: Russian Crochet
View: 14909|Reply: 154
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How do you organize your floss?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2011-8-2 03:27
| Show all posts |Read mode
I am trying to find the best way to organize my floss and since I am determined to get myself organized and actually establish a craft area in my house, I thought I would ask to see what people like best.  I am looking at cards and boxes, but is it a major pain to wind all your floss?  Also, I am worried about storing silks in that fashion.  The DMC Stitchbow is another system, but I dunno, it seems rather expensive.   I am embarrassed to admit that i have been just keeping my floss in bags and in vintage tins which is a real pain in the posterior.  
Thanks for any advice, it's much appreciated!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2011-8-2 04:33
| Show all posts
I used to keep it in little bags on a ring but it was hard to look for my colors. Took a look at bobbins and a box but they looked too exposed to me. I've noticed that the floss last longer if they're sealed. So used a binder that had laying around and bought sheets with pockets for baseball cards (pack of 10 sheets with 9 pockets each for around $3.00) and to seal the pockets used velcro dots cut in half. Now they are all visible, handy and organized by numerical order.

IMG_1546.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

Comments

Wow this is a cool idea  Post time 2023-2-3 17:10
This is very creative!  Post time 2020-1-29 16:10
fantastic never heard of that  Details Reply Post time 2015-5-18 21:58
I do this too as well. If from USA, buy your binders in the thrift store. I paid only .50 cents or wait until school supplies go on clearance late september and pick some up.  Post time 2013-11-11 02:25
This is a great solution! Thank you for sharing! I have mine on bobbins in boxes but there is no way to separate certain threads and, everytime I insert a new thread, it shifts all the other bobbins  Details Reply Post time 2013-8-9 11:13
what a great idea, your very clever and thanks for sharing  Post time 2013-8-4 21:39
very creative, thanks for sharing this! ;D  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-28 12:35
That is the best idea for storing floss I've ever seen! I have mine all on bobbins but I may gradually switch to this. Thanks!  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-4 22:05
Woah, this is a great idea!  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-3 19:55
I like this method! Way to organize :)  Post time 2012-6-20 03:20
brilliant idea, thanks very much. Up till now have just kept all threads in a box, bagged into colour groups, but this looks much better...  Details Reply Post time 2012-6-17 21:13
A close friend closed out her brick and mortar shop a while back and I bought out her stitch bows. I sure wish I had seen your method before I had gone that route, because this is pure genius!  Post time 2012-5-31 03:47
I've been keeping mine in ziplock snack bags. I live in a part of the country now that has a lot of humidity and wonder if I should do that or go back to the bobbins in a box method. I like the binde  Details Reply Post time 2012-5-16 09:21
You're a genius! I don't know if in Italy are basball cards, maybe football cards . thank you for the very good idea!  Details Reply Post time 2012-5-8 17:31
Very nice Good idea  Details Reply Post time 2012-3-5 00:34

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +1 Collapse Reason
acuarelaxula + 1 Excellent!

View Rating Log

Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-17 09:44
| Show all posts
The plastic pages with Velcro dots is pure GENIUS!

I keep my silk floss (spools) in Jammer boxes. I use Thread Drops for skeined flosses once I've opened the skein to use in a project.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-9-23 09:05
| Show all posts
I haven't purchased anything yet, but I keep seeing containers that come with bobbins/cards (different amounts depending on the kit), where you can write/put a sticker of a number on the card/bobbin. The cards in the kits I've seen are plastic as well. They look interesting and don't seem like they'd take up much room but will keep organized.  Here is an example. This one doesn't include floss or anything like a lot of the ones I've seen do, but if you don't need those things, this is a great deal.

Login/Register to enlarge
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-1 02:28
| Show all posts
I prefer plastic bobbins, have never had a problem with them kinking on the bobbins.   I used to have 5 of the plastic floss boxes for storage but I upgraded them in a big - 4 drawer tackle box that hold all the the DMC colours plus the newest 35 shades and some of the fancy ones

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-3-20 22:41
| Show all posts
I use snack bags with an index card inside (to help them stand up better) for my main stash.

For my WIP, I use CD sleeves - I have a separate envelope for each color in the pattern, and put there the approximate amount of thread I need for the pattern.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-3-28 02:09
| Show all posts
I have my dmc on bobbins in plastic boxes.  The extra skeins of dmc and my other brands of floss are in little baggies (1 skein to each baggie, unless it's the same floss). The baggies are then sorted by color shades on binder rings.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-1 08:33
| Show all posts
Wind onto plastic bobbins, number ordered in a thread organiser. I cut out the thread number from the label and tape it to the top left of the bobbin. Any spare skeins of colours I already have bobbined get put in a plastic ziplock

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-6-9 21:12
| Show all posts
Mine are all stored in groups, in organza bags, and then i bought some cheap smaller organza bags for individual numbers.  I like to move threads from different projects too, so having a master set makes it easier.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-21 22:35
| Show all posts
I wrap my threads in the cards and store them in DMC boxes arranged for them.  I sort the numbers from big to small.  It is very easy for me to find.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-3-21 02:50
| Show all posts
In bags of paper, by project, and no bobbins just the original bundle by DMC...looking for ideas to organizing by color and like the DMC color cards, someone has an idea? :o

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-8-2 04:02
| Show all posts
I'm done winding...forever;P  My DMC is on bobbins but as I replace them, I've been leaving them as is.  I have those and my Anchor collection in nults/bolts bins.

For my silks and hand dyed threads, I use Jammers cases.  I know some people have managed to store the entire DMC line in one case!!  That was by using bobbins.  Mine still hold quite a bit even without the bobbins.  

Have fun organizing:)

Comments

I do the same! I organize mine by their numbers, that way, when I need a certain color, I just go by the numbers!  Details Reply Post time 2013-8-13 22:23

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2011-8-2 06:50
| Show all posts
Reply 2# xsmom214

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the input.  I have been such a start and stop cross stitcher even though I love it.  I think if i organize and make it less painful to find things I will actually start finishing projects.  Happy Stitching!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2011-8-2 06:52
| Show all posts
Reply 3# guaynia

Okay, you are seriously awesome.  That is a genius system and I am going to steal the heck out of it.  That will work perfect for what I want.  Thanks so much!!  :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-8-3 03:08
| Show all posts
You're welcome:)  Glad you found a system that will make you happy:)  You're right, stitching is much more fun when your supplies are easily found, LOL;P  There's nothing worse than knowing you have that color and can't find it!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-8-4 05:21
| Show all posts
Reply  guaynia

Okay, you are seriously awesome.  That is a genius system and I am going to steal ...
samhain126 Post at 8-2-2011 06:52

Thanks and you're welcome! I got tired of carrying a tote bag and dig through it to find my colors. Have to say that the velcro dots are a PITA to cut and place in the pockets but is well worth it and inexpensive.

"When In Need, Imagination Kicks In!"

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-8-4 16:58
| Show all posts
I have been using bobbins and plastic boxes. The cardboard bobbins that come with the box are way too flimsy (bend and tear with use) and I had to slowly replace them with the plastic ones. What I do not like with the boxes is 1 they do not all close tightly, 2 the lid cracked off one of them and 3 the bobbins sit up nicely in the sections only when they are all in there. Otherwise, they are always falling over. I always have more than one project on the go, so there are always bobbins missing from the boxes. When I go to look for a colour, it becomes frustrating to read the number on the bobbin when they do not stand still. LOL.
I need a better system myself and really like guaynia's creative idea. How original!!
I would never have thought to do that on my own.

Comments

Try using a tackle box that has the hinged tabs that seal the box shut. They are almost the same size as the actual DMC boxes that you can buy. I also use the DMC color # stickers that you can buy  Post time 2012-6-20 03:24

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-8-27 18:56
| Show all posts
Floss bags for me, nothings wasted as useable cut offs go back in the bag and the threads are kept clean. I dont like Bobbins as i dont like the kinks in the threads. When i start a project i pick the threads (in bags) that i need and put them on a big floss ring which hangs off a hook on my stand.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-9-5 05:42
| Show all posts
i put my threads on small cards , made from cereal boxes with a hole on them .
i note color numbers on the card

Comments

I wind all of my threads onto a card with the number of the thread on it, then put them into Fishing - Nail- Bolt plastic boxes. I keep each series of numbers in the one box. All the 9's in one box an  Details Reply Post time 2013-8-14 11:28

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-20 07:36 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.111171 sec., 24 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list