Yarny Publish time 2017-5-10 06:23

Alternative Amigurumi Stuffing

IF you don't have or can't get polyfil, I've found plastic bags make an excellent stuffing for amigurumi. They're great at keeping shape without overstritching and misshaping parts, and you don't have to worry about fibers poking through your stitches. It's also great for cat toys because they like the crinkling.

Yarny Publish time 2017-5-13 07:54

static/image/common/user_online.gif LitteGirlInMe static/image/common/clock.gif 2017-5-12 07:27
You can't use plastic bags for toys for children . I would be scared to give my cat toys with plasti ...

Literally all matter in existence is "chemicals", you should be more specific. There are also dozens of types of plastic with varying degrees of chemical composition and safety, so just saying "plastic" is dangerous is also misleading. Certain type of plastics can leech chemicals when heated or scratched, but not all. Children will come into contact with plastic constantly every day of their lives (clothes, packaging, chairs, etc.), so a plastic bag that's covered with yarn anyway is not going to hurt a child. Unless your child lives in a bubble (but not a plastic one of course).

On a related note, the most popular yarn fiber, acrylic, is a thermoplastic. The majority of clothing is made of various synthetic fibers. There's a good chance you're wearing plastic right now.

As for cats, toys given to animals should always be inspected carefully and depend on the animal. If you have an animal that tears up toys, of course you should always be careful what you give them.

kaden Publish time 2020-1-31 22:42

I've used yarn scraps to stuff with. I have loads of those sitting about and they don't cost me anything new! I just shove them into a bag as I work and then when I need stuffing... voila!

Romacaor Publish time 2018-2-3 16:49

Tema muy interesante, tambien puedes reciclar la lana de un viejo almohadón o colchón

LitteGirlInMe Publish time 2017-5-12 07:27

You can't use plastic bags for toys for children . I would be scared to give my cat toys with plastic bags in them. Too many chemicals in plastic to want to put it in my toys..all that hard work? yuck.

kooda Publish time 2019-5-10 00:04

static/image/common/user_online.gif astrea75 static/image/common/clock.gif 2018-1-14 20:17
the idea seems good but it seems to me that the toy would be very noisy

Yes, but she said it would be good for the cats because cats like that type of noise. From my experience anyways. If your knitting or crocheting is very tight they will have a hard time tearing apart any toy you make. My cats play rough with their knitted toys and they haven't been able to tear it open. Thanks

toomuchreading Publish time 2018-1-20 05:40

I use thin wool quilt batting for stuffing.It can be easily be ripped appart into smaller pieces.It shapes up nicely and you can stuff as light or as hard as you want for the desired effect.I've also used any type of roving I have laying around for a quick stuffing 'emergency' from my spinning supply.

Yarny Publish time 2017-5-13 07:39

static/image/common/user_online.gif Inchmahome static/image/common/clock.gif 2017-5-10 09:54
Interesting tip! Thanks for sharing! Do you cut them up or just scrunch up a whole bag?

You're welcome! Depends on how much stuffing you need/want. For smaller things or intricate shapes I cut smaller pieces.

hamaratanne Publish time 2019-1-30 04:42

static/image/common/user_online.gif DragonflyKJ static/image/common/clock.gif 2018-1-24 09:01
I have never thought of using these, thanks for the tip!

I do keep my little bits of yarn offcuts t ...

me too... my baby sitter says that i'm crazy but instead of getting away i use them as stuffing

Inchmahome Publish time 2017-5-10 09:54

Interesting tip! Thanks for sharing! Do you cut them up or just scrunch up a whole bag?

zinax Publish time 2017-5-10 13:27

very nice, thanks

chocolat.CH Publish time 2017-5-11 08:29

very good!

astrea75 Publish time 2018-1-15 10:17

the idea seems good but it seems to me that the toy would be very noisy

DragonflyKJ Publish time 2018-1-24 14:01

I have never thought of using these, thanks for the tip!

I do keep my little bits of yarn offcuts to add into the stuffing though!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
View full version: Alternative Amigurumi Stuffing